Old 27-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Jim W

Default info on allotments please

shannie wrote:

Having spent six hours today on grasscutting I have decided to rent out the
half acre of land I don't use for allotments. As we don't have them here Im
interested to know a little about them from yourselves please. For example,
what is the average size of an allotment (yards/feet please) Do you have
access to water and power? What is the average yearly/monthly rent. What is
used to divide your allotments?..ie fencing etc and anything else you can
think of. As said, allotments are not the norm here in Ireland but with the
amount of new housing being built in the towns with postage stamp gardens I
think I may be able to make a go of it, Im thinking along the lines of four
in the half acre....too many??..too few?? Would love your imput.

Poles.. A full size plot is ususally 9 poles..

Some people rent a half or quarter plot.. Plots are numbered so when
divided become a, b, c, etc.. eg 102a, 102b, etc..

Ave rent = 25 - 30 / annum inc water. Paths divide the allotments and
are to be kept clear.. Fences and barriers between plots are not
permitted (according to the agreement). There is a 3 month 'probation'
prior to signature of the contract. Notice of non-cultivation is issued
after inspections (3 - 6 monthly) if no significant changes are made
then an eviction notice may be served.

Our trading shed offers discounted supplies via the hort/allotments
soc..

You may find http://www.rhs.org.uk and http://www.nsalg.demon.co.uk/
useful.

http://www.chadahs.org.uk for more information on our site..

Site is self managed by a comittee but council are responsible for
security (Ha ha) and a number of other things)
//
Jim