Old 27-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Stephen Sassman

Default Roundup Unready

So if the government says its OK, we can dump thousands of tons of it onto our
crops? They also said that DDT was completely safe. Just because it doesn't
cause cancer doesn't mean that it is safe. You don't mention the possibility
of endocrine disruption.

Bill Oliver wrote:

In article bsS2b.6922$n94.6018@fed1read04,
Just another fan wrote:

But I'd like to broaden the scope of discussion here by including
the human and animal health effects of Roundup. It is both a carcinogen
(non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) and an endocrine disruptor (inhibits
steroidogenesis). The testing that revealed those two points looked at
glyphosate, the key ingredient in Roundup, by itself. The complete
formulation is even more toxic.

In fact, this is a lie. The study that is pushed by the ecofundamentalist
hysterics actually notes that Roundup does *not* cause non-Hodgkin's
lymphoma. For some reason the hysterics repeat the findings from an
early, incomplete preliminary study, but somehow magically forget to
note the follow-up study by the *same* authors that concludes that
the association falls out in multivariate analysis. In other words
the authors of the article quoted here come to the opposite conclusion
than that claimed here.

billo