Old 27-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Squirrels Eating My Tomatoes!

Have you tried distracting them by placing something they like in another
area of the yard away from the tomatoes? Earlier this summer I had
squirrels that decided to empty my bird feeders hanging from a large pine
tree in the back yard. I also have a bunch of tomato plants with lots of
ripe tomatoes and they have not touched them yet. I have a friend who feeds
squirrels in her back yard just to watch their quirky behavior and she feeds
them corn. It's that corn you buy for animals to nibble. I'm not really
sure of the exact name. Reminds me of what we used call cow corn (grown up
north for cows to eat). It's worth a try.

A cat might help too. I've got 3 cats (2 in/outdoor and 1 indoor). The 2
cats that hunt are very good at keeping voles/moles/snakes out of the yard.
They always leave me souvenirs. That's probably another reason I don't see
squirrels around my tomatoes.

Good luck. Let us know if what you try works.

Penny
"Mark" wrote in message
The squirrels are eating what few tomatoes I am getting this season.

1,000 pardons if this gets asked every week! Google searching has
uncovered these suggestions;

- Spread moth balls around the garden (toxic active ingredient?)
- Rat poison (way too dangerous to pets)
- Plastic owl/snakes (seems like the rodents would catch on pretty
quickly)
- Christmas Tree ornaments
- Spray pepper sauce on the fruits

Just wondering if folks here have any methods that they are happy with.
Thanks much!

--
Mark
Raleigh, NC USA