Old 27-08-2003, 06:32 PM
IntarsiaCo

Default Clivea propagation

I have grown some C. nobilis from seed, and they grew well until the
true leaf stage, but now show all the vigour of Welwitschia. They
don't appear UNHAPPY - just slow to progress. Any ideas why, and
how to get them to progress?

Hi Nick:
Just a couple of thoughts that come to mind:
Have you been fertilizing them? I use a weak liquid feed with every other
watering
Too much sunlight? Mine prefer indirect light but that would depend on the
quality of light available to you, of which I have no appreciation, living in
Connecticut, USA.
Warmth? I keep the seedlings warmer than the fully grown plants.
Genetic makeup? Some clones are slower than others.
Overpotted? In general they prefer to be underpotted, I wait until they begin
to push themselves out of the pot before moving them on.
Good luck. If you can grow Welwitschia, my hat is off to you.
Best,
Mark