Old 27-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Saving Tomato Seed?

The message
from Ron Clark contains these words:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:16 +0100 (BST), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

I bought a "Red Alert" tomato seedling that has done quite well. Is it
practicable to save the seed? If so, how?

Not worth the bother.

Are you sure the Red Alert seed was fertilised by Red Alert pollen?

You might save seed and get some tomatoes but they are unlikely
to breed true.

But you might just end up with something better.

Many years ago I bought some seedlings labelled 'Shirley cross'. I wish
I knew what they'd been crossed with as they were the best tomatoes I've
ever tasted.

To save seed, just take a few pips from a tomato and roll them about in
a bit of kitchen tissue, or better still, a piece of cloth.

Let them dry out, save them in a plastic bag and see how they do. But
don't rely on them - use them in addition to what you would normally
grow.

(I favour Ailsa Craig, Shirley & Alicante.)

--
Frère Jaques
They knocked the Bell down and erected a charade of pops.