Old 27-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Marilee

Default Asparagus In The Summer

"Mike Blake-Knox" wrote in message
In article , Fudge wrote:
There must be a
way of forcing asparagus to produce later in the year or special strains

are
used.

I've heard that if you don't pick it in the spring, you can cut down the

ferns
during the late summer and pick for a couple of weeks.

Late in coming, but...

My dad had an asparagus bed for years, and said if you harvested only a
portion throughout the growing season (letting ~some~ of it go to ferns,
even in the spring, you could harvest much later in the summer.

Next year I'll be able to start harvesting from our bed, and I plan to try
this on some of the plants, just to see if it really works.

Marilee

Mike Blake-Knox