Old 27-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Jay Chan

Default Drought-Tolerate Bluegrass?

I live about 8 miles from the Kentucky border and bluegrass doesn't even do
well here. Most people are switching to petite fescue around here. It
requires less water and has some natural resistance to insect pest. I over
seeded for a few consecutive years in the fall and it made a big difference.
My lawn retains its green color when most of my neighbor's lawns have gone
dormant from the heat. You might want to check out this site for more
information: http://ohioline.osu.edu/lines/hygs.html

Glad to hear that the fine fescue your lawn is doing great. I guess
the fact that bluegrass doesn't suit well in your area gives the fine
fescue a chance to establish and win out over the bluegrass.

But I doubt that fine fescue will work in my lawn. I live in bluegrass
territory. I am under the impression that bluegrass will crowd out
fine fescue in my area if I don't remove bluegrass first (and I don't
want to take this dramatic step yet).

Thanks though.

Jay Chan