Old 27-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Clivea propagation

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(IntarsiaCo) writes:
| I would also like to know what to do with clivea seeds
|
| Remove seed from the fleshy pod, remove the thin membrane around the seed,
| plant (pressed into the surface but not buried) in sterile potting mix kept
| moist not wet. Bright indirect light or under fluorescents. Germination
| should occur in several weeks. Once the first leaf has developed, fertilize
| lightly. Keep the plants growing for 3-4 years until they have 12-13 leaves.
| Then they can be kept dry and cool (12 weeks in autumn) in order to induce
| flowering.

I have grown some C. nobilis from seed, and they grew well until the
true leaf stage, but now show all the vigour of Welwitschia. They
don't appear UNHAPPY - just slow to progress. Any ideas why, and
how to get them to progress?

They are in a very well-drained loam based compost, watered
erratically and given as much sun as possible.

Same problem for me with the similar Vallota. Help!

Mike.