Old 27-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Rod

Default Blue Poppy seeds

"Janet & Tim Costidell" wrote in message
You have obviously been successful growing these, do you have any tips? We have followed the instructions on

the back of the seed packet to the letter, two years on the trot, and had seedlings, which then die. We have two
Meconopsis (garden centre bought) which are thriving by a pond, but can't seem to raise them from seed. Can you
offer any help?

Try preparing a seed bed around your plant and shake some seed pods onto it - if the growing conditions are
suitable they will self sow quite happily esp M. betonicifolia.
Don't expect too much from bought seeds (except Chiltern's - they prepare theirs and store it properly) Otherwise
fresh seed is best'
(a) They're hardy plants so don't mollycoddle them, they need to be cool and humid and in well drained but reliably
moist slightly acid soil.
(b)The fresh seeds germinate freely on the surface of moist ericaceous compost under clingfilm - outdoors in good
light but not direct sun. After germination remove clingfilm and leave outside. The seedlings are deciduous so they
seem to disappear during the winter but some (only a small proportion) will reappear and can be pricked out and
grown on in the ordinary way, pot on as needed and plant in final positions in late summer.
(c) See (a) above - don't let them anywhere near a greenhouse or propagator - much too hot for them.

Here near the North Wales coast my best plants are in reliably moist well drained slightly acid soil in very light
dappled shade for the hottest part of the day under high Oak canopy - I have to avoid places where the Oak leaves
pile up in the winter.

Rod