Old 27-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Clivea propagation

In article ,
IntarsiaCo wrote:
I have grown some C. nobilis from seed, and they grew well until the
true leaf stage, but now show all the vigour of Welwitschia. They
don't appear UNHAPPY - just slow to progress. Any ideas why, and
how to get them to progress?

Just a couple of thoughts that come to mind:
Have you been fertilizing them? I use a weak liquid feed with every other
watering

Erratically, in the summer only. Much like Haemanthus and Strelitzia,
all of which are growing well.

Too much sunlight? Mine prefer indirect light but that would depend on the
quality of light available to you, of which I have no appreciation, living in
Connecticut, USA.

I could try that, but even our summer sun is weaker than the winter
sun in South Africa - yes, really - and our winter sun has to be
unseen to be disbelieved.

Warmth? I keep the seedlings warmer than the fully grown plants.

Should be OK, at least in summer, unless they are local to the
Kalahari (which they might be).

Genetic makeup? Some clones are slower than others.

Can't tell - Chilterns seeds.

Overpotted? In general they prefer to be underpotted, I wait until they begin
to push themselves out of the pot before moving them on.

I don't think so. Three in a 4" pot.

Good luck. If you can grow Welwitschia, my hat is off to you.

Thanks for the help. No, I don't grow that, but sometimes I look
at the Clivia and wonder :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.