Old 27-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default How to present veg for exhibiting?

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:31:07 +0100, Christopher Norton wrote:

...Who gives a hoot what the veggies look
like just as long as they taste good.

I used to do a certain amount of general horticultural judging.
Participants in the peculiar sport of horticultural exhibiting
know that it is customary for the judges to open pea pods and
taste a few, and to slice open cucumbers to see if they are
seedy.

One time I shocked the assembly of judges and clerks by cutting
off a slice of the first-rank cucumbers and eating it. It took a
little bit of persuasion to convince my fellow veggie judge to
follow suit, but when she did, we agreed that the best-looking
cuke didn't taste very good, and switched our intended first and
second prize awards around so the best-tasting of the two got
first.

(The rest of the cukes were too dire looking to make first or
second.)

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada