Old 27-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Kay Lancaster

Default Best "Smaller" Riding Mower?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:05:45 -0400, pelirojaroja wrote:
We are looking for a riding mower/lawn tractor for my parents. They have
about a 1/3 - 1/2 acre lot, mostly level and a lot of "flat-out" mowing.
The gas push mower is getting to be too much for them. We are looking into
a rider, and would appreciate any advice as to the correct size/type/brand.
Preferably one that is easy to learn and easy to drive for someone who has

moderate arthritis.

We've a Deere we're pretty pleased with (2 acres, though)... but something
to consider... riding mowers don't have a whole lot of suspension, and
if you've got an arthritic back, it can be pretty rough going. There are
a lot of different brands available, with different types of controls...
hand controls may be difficult for someone with hand/shoulder arthritis,
while foot controls may be difficult for someone with arthritic legs.

Another possibility to consider: switching from a traditional yard to
one that doesn't need mowing or needs mowing
infrequently ... native plants, low covercrops, buffalograss, shrubs, etc.