Old 28-08-2003, 12:32 AM
James Mayer

Default I'm Sick of Tomatoes

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:11:17 -0500, Mark Anderson
wrote:

I've been harvesting tomatoes for a couple of weeks now. I tried to keep
up and eat as much as I can and also give away a lot but the tomatoes
keep coming and coming every day. Now the thought of eating another
tomato turns my stomach.

Does anyone have good tips on freezing these? My parent's put them in
boiling water for a couple of minutes and then peel the skins, smash them
up, and put them in ziplock bags to freeze. That seemed a little too
much work for me so I just cut them up, put them in a blender, liquefied
them, and put them in ziplock bags. Since my liquefied tomatoes
contained skins I'm not sure how this is going to taste when I thaw them
in the winter for chili. I also have a lot of basil and one bag I
experimented by throwing some basil in the blender with the tomatoes.
I'm not sure how this is going to taste either.

These tomato plants were so much work I don't want to waste any of the
tomatoes but it's going to be a couple of months before I'll be able to
eat one again.

Can them whole, can them as juice, can them as spaghetti sauce,
can them as chili sauce, but just can them. I remember one summer my
mother and I went through about 12 bushel of tomatoes, canning them in
one form or another. We were using any jar that we could dig up that
would accept a mason lid or a clamp-down rubber ring. We canned more
produce that year than we could eat in the whole next year. If we
found some jars, we'd find something to put in them. Can those
tomatoes, for next year your crop may not come in at all.