Old 28-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default Are plants social? Huh?

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
I'm missing the hint for allelopathie, the research of reciprocal
influences
of plants, practicized by friends of "Mischkultur", mainly explained by
mycorrhizal effects in the edaphone - founded by H. Molisch, university of
Vienna,

Sounds like a bunch of hooey.

No, there a lot to be learned about mycorrhizal effects in the natural
environment. I read a paper a little while back that demonstrated, using
radioactive tracers, that mycorrhiza could actually transport photosynthate
between a softwood species and birch in a reforestation setting. IIRC,
the birch saplings, growing in shade, were "stealing" from the softwood
saplings in an adjacent open area.