Old 28-08-2003, 03:42 AM
AngrieWoman

Default bought house with koi (1) pond..long, sorry

It's really an inexpensive hobby, since you already have the pond and
filters.

Unless your pump dies, I don't think you'll need to spend much at all on it.

-

"K30a" wrote in message
Hi Kristen,

A koi will have two little whiskers on either side of his mouth. His head

will
be more square-ish than rounded.

A single fish with that much stuff in the pond doesn't need feeding,

though it
is fun to do once they learn about chow time. Feed very, very sparingly.

Since he has done so well for four years I'd leave the pond alone for now.
You can net out leaves in the fall so as not to add to the load the pond

is
carrying. If time is a problem you can suspend a net over the pond when

the
leaves fall, nice and tight as you don't want the leaves dipping into the

pond
like a tea bag.

The pond and the filter are probably taking care of the fish waste.

I agree a friend might be nice. Find a really good store that sells fish,

not
for fancy fish, but for healthy fish. And buy one. Ask them how to

introduce
the fish into the pond. The thing to watch is not a too big a jump in
temperture and the involves floating the fish bag for 20 minutes in a

shadded
area.

If Atlanta has a severe winter and the pond freezes over for any length of

time
you will want to keep a hole open in the ice. I use an air pump and air

stone.
You can use the same plug in that the filter works off of now.

You'll probably want to clean the pond next spring.
Hang around until then and you'll probably learn a lot. Then when cleaning

time
comes around we'll help you out. Hopefully you'll have more time then and

your
new house will be fixed up.

That's all I can think of for now. Others will chime in :-)

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html