Old 28-08-2003, 06:22 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Planting old corn kernels

writes:

I've done some searching on corn and planting online, but I can't find
a source that tells me the, well, "shelf-life" of a kernel of corn.
We're intrigued by the idea of planting these and seeing what happens,
but we don't want to go to all the time and bother if these are too
old. If we do end up planting, what would be the best way to prepare
the kernels? Should we soak them in water, or keep them between wet
paper towels, or just put them in some potting soil?

Well, I'll tell you, Joan, I believed the shelf life thing last year. I
was told that corn two or more years old would have a germination rate of
less than 50 percent and might be much less. Soooo... in my ignorance and
trust that others knew far more than me, I planted the several-years-old
corn with the idea that only 10 percent or so would germinate.

Every kernel grew, every single kernel, I kid you not. In a two 15-foot
rows, I had many dozens of corn stalks expecting to have a dozen at most.
It was excellent corn. The sad part is that it was so delicious, I wanted
to grow the same variety again. Expecting to have no, or little,
germination, I tossed the package right after planting. So much for
guidelines of when it can grow.

On the other extreme, two for-this-year packages of creeping thyme
resulted in not a single seedling, therefore, no plants.

One thing for certain, if you don't plant them, they won't grow. :-) I'd
suggest potting soil in peat moss pots so they can more easily go into the
ground when (not "if" but "when") they grow.

Glenna
always a bit optimistic about Mother Nature