Old 28-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Glenna Rose

Default I'm Sick of Tomatoes

writes:
I've been harvesting tomatoes for a couple of weeks now. I tried to keep
up and eat as much as I can and also give away a lot but the tomatoes
keep coming and coming every day. Now the thought of eating another
tomato turns my stomach.

Does anyone have good tips on freezing these?

I dropped tomatoes in a large plastic container in the freezer and cooked
them later for juice. When I do that, I don't bother to do anything
except rinse them and put them in the container. I've done this mostly to
accumulate enough to make a huge pot of tomato juice. When I have enough,
I add the herbs, etc., and cook it all together for incredible tomato
juice.

Another thing to do is to dry them. A dehydrator does a wonderful job on
tomato slices. This year, I purchased a food processor so that will speed
up the tomato slicing. Dried slices can be stored like that or powdered.
Either way; they will be good for cooking (or snacks for the slices) any
time in the future. So far, none of mine have made it to cooking as we
eat the slices like candy. :-)

I hope to actually try some dried tomato powder and basil in homemade
spaghetti noodles this year; reports have it that it's delicious.

Glenna