Old 28-08-2003, 07:22 AM
k conover

Default bought house with koi (1) pond..long, sorry

Omigosh, I had no idea! And I was joking with my brother about how I would
get the fish "sexed" so I could figure out if I needed to get a boy or girl
companion...
Kirsten
(I think I'll follow your suggestions and keep him alone for awhile and try
to get him used to me--don't think the last owner ever paid attention to him
at all...)
Kirsten
(I have fish food that looks like little "Grape Nuts" cereal--how often and
how much should I feed him; if at all, since he's been getting no food from
the previous owner)
"Nedra" wrote in message
nk.net...
Yet another voice, Kirsten! Don't add another fish
until you figure out what you want to do with the zillion
babies that will show up! I would definitely leave well
enough alone. Just enjoy the pond for now...

Nedra

"jammer" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:28:07 -0400, "k conover"
wrote:

Hi, I recently bought a 1923 bungalow in Atlanta, and I inherited a

small
pond (about 4 feet across, maybe 2-3 feet deep) with one fish. To me

he
appears to be a large goldfish, not a koi--is there any easy way to
differentiate? He's all orange. The owner that sold me the house

said
that he was here 4 years ago when HE bought the house. The pond is

chock
full of plants, and lots of green slimy stuff and some small lily pads.

It
does have some sort of filter. I realize that I should probably clean

it
out a bit, and I'm going to remove floating debris to start, but I'm

kind
of
thinking, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." He's been here for

years,
doing well (the former owner rarely fed him--I'm sure he's been chewing

on
the plants and bugs) so I don't want to go in and clean out the pond

and
shock his system. I would like to introduce a buddy for him though.
My problem is that I feel that I must give this little guy a good
environment, but at the same time I am overwhelmed with all the things

that
need to be done to my "fixer-upper" so I don't have tons of time to

devote
to this project. Like I said, he's been doing fine so far, but I

would
like to make his life a little better. Advice?
Thanks in advance.
Kirsten

Clean the filter, do a partial water change and let it be, then! if
you have a shop vac, maybe clean some of the much out of the bottom.