Old 28-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

Default Planting old corn kernels

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:07:31 -0700, (Glenna Rose)
wrote:

writes:

I've done some searching on corn and planting online, but I can't find
a source that tells me the, well, "shelf-life" of a kernel of corn.

Search on "[plant] viability" or "[plant] seed storage" Results are
spotty, but I haven't found a better search string. Corn generally
comes in at 1-2 years.

Well, I'll tell you, Joan, I believed the shelf life thing last year. I
was told that corn two or more years old would have a germination rate of
less than 50 percent and might be much less. Soooo... in my ignorance and
trust that others knew far more than me, I planted the several-years-old
corn with the idea that only 10 percent or so would germinate.

Every kernel grew, every single kernel, I kid you not.

One thing for certain, if you don't plant them, they won't grow. :-) I'd
suggest potting soil in peat moss pots so they can more easily go into the
ground when (not "if" but "when") they grow.

Glenna
always a bit optimistic about Mother Nature

Exactly. You never can tell. A friend is expecting cool weather
because the "average" temperature curve here peaks at the end of July.
Just because the historical "average" high for yesterday was 84 didn't
mean there was anything to prevent it from being 97.
See:

http://quickstart.clari.net/qs_se/we....ReXN_DuO.html

(about corn, not heat)