Old 28-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Planting old corn kernels

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:07:31 -0700, (Glenna
Rose) wrote:

Every kernel grew, every single kernel, I kid you not. In a two 15-foot
rows, I had many dozens of corn stalks expecting to have a dozen at most.
It was excellent corn. The sad part is that it was so delicious, I wanted
to grow the same variety again. Expecting to have no, or little,
germination, I tossed the package right after planting. So much for
guidelines of when it can grow.

Do you remember what variety it was, Glenna? If we move (as
now appears probable - given some luck), I'll have an acre
of land!

Room for corn!!! Room for pumpkins and winter squash too!!!
That will be a real joy. I'll also have room for fruit
trees, raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, etc.

I'll grow my garden within a 'dog moat' as I do in this
place, and it does keep the critters away very nicely. We
have two large-ish dogs. The garden is itself fenced, and
is contained *within* the dogs' fenced area.

If we move (with some luck - we need to sell this house and
need to reach agreement with the owner of the new place,
which we think we have), we'll be living in a dilapidated,
decrepit old trailer but WITH AN ACRE OF USABLE LEVEL
LAND!!!! And no mortgage.

Pat