Old 28-08-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Really really sandy soil

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "martin" wrote in message
: ...
: On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:14:21 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
: wrote:
:
:
: "Victoria Clare" wrote in message
: 8.206...
: Rusty Hinge wrote in
: :
:
: The message
: from "bnd777" contains these words:
:
: Mixing it sounds a great idea plus add in all the manure and
compost
: you can gather
:
: A good source of composting material is from your local
greengrocer,
: who will probably let you have loads of sad, off or waste stuff.
:
:
: Lawn mowings and hedge shreddings are good too. Pile 'em on in
layers.
:
: Victoria
:
: Some breweries will be happy to deliver lorry loads of spent hops for
: free
: Some Sewerage Authorities will deliver lorry loads of treated sewage
for
: free
: I bet normally they have to pay to get rid of the stuff. :-)
: I thought that treated sewage is not suitable, because of the high
: concentration of heavy metals in it.
:
: Some decades ago I lived in Woking, where the garden was in the Bagshot
Sand
: area. Leatherhead council, a mere ten miles or so away, marketed an
: excellent compost which they produced from household waste. They charged,
: if I remember correctly, 2/- per bag. I used tons of the stuff, until the
: blighters ceased production. I never found out why they stopped the
: project. I would willingly have paid five times as much for the stuff.
:
: Franz

Years ago Thames Water used to sell bags of fertiliser from our local sewage
works which was excellent but they stopped doing it for some reason. It was
always great for tomatoes :O)