Old 28-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default Apomictic Grasses

In article ,
Cereoid-UR12- wrote:
It never did happen.

Phredo completely misunderstood what was previously said by nobody. (How
appropriate!!!)

I'll believe Phred before I'll believe you, since his posts are usually
well informed and lacking in childishness. If someone has discovered
apomixis in Zea, it's an interesting development, and I'd like to hear
more about it. The way he phrased it:

(And I suppose we could even throw in Zea now.)

makes it sound like it's a very new development, or perhaps that it was
achieved by unusual means.

Hmm, 30 seconds with google shows that there's a lot of work being done
hybridizing Zea and Tripsacum, and investigating apomixis in the hybrids,
including efforts to produce apomictic maize cultivars. I get 537 hits,
mostly to journal articles, some as prestigious as Nature, and to research
laboratories and university courses in plant science. What's more, there
are bibliographic refs back to the 1970s, so it's not even new.

Phred (knowledge) 1
Cereoid (childishness) 0