Old 28-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Heidi

Default Squirrels Eating My Tomatoes!

HI Mark,

You can buy dried blood at HD or Lowes in the garden/soil additives
section. It's fairly cheap. Dried blood is high in nitrogen and is
often used to green up plants. I did not need to use much blood to
deter the squirrels in our yard. I wouldn't over use the dried blood,
or your tomatoes will stop producing fruit from too much nitrogen. But,
it shouldn't hurt to sprinkle a few tablespoons around the plants.

Good luck!
Heidi

Mark wrote:

The squirrels are eating what few tomatoes I am getting this season.

1,000 pardons if this gets asked every week! Google searching has
uncovered these suggestions;

- Spread moth balls around the garden (toxic active ingredient?)
- Rat poison (way too dangerous to pets)
- Plastic owl/snakes (seems like the rodents would catch on pretty
quickly)
- Christmas Tree ornaments
- Spray pepper sauce on the fruits

Just wondering if folks here have any methods that they are happy with.
Thanks much!