Old 28-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Trees for screen

stoneysteve wrote in
s.com:

The spot in question is along the west fence in a south facing garden.
There is no other planting in the area. I'm not sure what the soil is
like as it is a new development(lots of rubble I'd guess)

In that case you might need to enrich the soil a bit before planting, to
ensure what you plant shoots up quickly to the right height. Suggest you
get a bag of well-rotted manure and dig it in all round that area before
you plant.

Is the light a problem all year round, or just on summer evenings?

If all year round, I think an evergreen honeysuckle on some sort of
structure would do the best job - maybe even a trellis mounted on top of
the fence? If it's a brand new garden, it's probably not all that huge,
and you don't want something too wide eating up your space because of one
annoying neighbour.

If it's on the West of the garden, you don't want it blocking out the
evening sun either.

I personally would ignore the 'reflector' and 'airgun' suggestions above.
****ing off your neighbours, however infuriating, is a mug's game. On a new
development they may well decide to move on in a year or so anyway. But if
you might need to move first, you don't want *anything* that might have to
be reported to a prospective buyer as a dispute.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall