Old 28-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Bill Spohn

Default Zapping the Coons

It is getting near the time when my two pear trees ripen their fruit, and so I
have once again unpacked the electric fence unit to protect them from the
racoons.

If I don't do this, I lose all the fruit the day before I'd normally pick it. I
use a heavy duty unit meant for cattle - if you grab it, it will make your arm
go numb. I can only imagine what hitting it with a warm wet nose would be like,
but it sure seems to do the trick. Cows with pacemakers need not apply.

If anyone has a coon probem with fruit trees or a pond, it seems to be the only
way to keep the varmints out.

Be sure to warn any friends that come over not to touch it (although that is an
excellent way to check that it is still working.......)