Old 28-08-2003, 04:02 PM

Default Still green....

is your biofilter covered?
clean the filter every day if you need to get the green slimy crap off cause it is
smothering the biobugs. or, put some polyester batting in to collect the crud,
replace when it gets slimed.
sounds like your bioload has increased. what and how often are you feeding the fish?
can you shade part of the pond?
how much extra aeration do you have? I think BZT requires pretty good aeration to
break down organics. Ingrid

(Szpond) wrote:

I've written for suggestions before, and have tried them all...but, I STILL
have a nasty, green pond. I had clear water for 1 week since spring. I'm
really discouraged and do not know what to do. I had that "floating" algae for
over a month, that has stopped, but I still can't see my fish. Plenty of
plants, although they are not doing half as well as they did last year.
Bio-filter (85 gallon) which is just full of green, gummy, slimy crap
constantly. I think I might be defeating my own purpose - have been rinsing
out filter and media weekly - it gets that gummed up. Last year we only
cleaned once.

History: 2nd summer for pond.
SIze 14'x12'
Gallons: appx. 4200
Depth: 2 1/2 - 4' deep
Fish 3 koi 6-7"
2 koi 3"
Baby comets (maybe 40) from last year - (their mommies eaten by
the heron)
Waterfall and spitter
Full sun
Thanks for any ideas, suggestions. I didn't want to add chemicals to the pond,
but I'm ready too now. What works? I have been using BZT, no help, no change.
Thanks, Cathy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com