Old 28-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Cecil Kimber

Default Metal Halide question...

I have one of those used "flood light" fixtures. The ballast is in the unit
with the bulb making it extremely heavy and difficult to mount. I also have
a custom made unit with a bat wing reflector and the ballast mounted
separately. The latter is much easy to mount, move and use. Since all I'm
moving is an aluminum reflector and a bulb there is no danger of dropping
anything on the plants. I'd stay away from the converted parking lot lights
as they are really unmanageable.
"TS" wrote in message
My basement indoor space is 5X4, and I recently added a shelf (3 tiers)
with 2 double florescents above each shelf. I want to add a 400 watt MH,
hung from the ceiling to add more light (and grow some other taller
plants- like Hibiscus). I figure that the lower light orchids can be on
the lower shelves, with the high-light lovers on the upper shelves
closer to the MH.
My question is about the MH light itself. I have been searching ebay,
and the web. What should I buy? There are many different types:
Industrial hi-bay types
Grow lights like Hydrofarm
Cheaper Grow Lights w/ batwing reflectors
Flood light fixtures
Etc.

They can be bought used, refurbed, or new. And there is a huge price
difference amoung the different types. Obviously those Hydrofarms are
the best, but is it worth the extra money?

If anyone can recommend a type of light, or share experiences I would
greatly appreciate it!

--
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...