Old 28-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Andy Petro

Default I'm Sick of Tomatoes

What is your recipe for dill pickles.

Noydb wrote:

Mark Anderson wrote:

I've been harvesting tomatoes for a couple of weeks now. I tried to keep
up and eat as much as I can and also give away a lot but the tomatoes
keep coming and coming every day. Now the thought of eating another
tomato turns my stomach.

I enjoy fresh tomatoes from the garden but I have also learned to can them.
It's not difficult to do but if you are balking at peeling and then
freezing them, I suspect it would be best if you only planted one or two
vines next year.

My wife and I look forward to canning as much tomato juice as we possibly
can because we really like tomato juice and the stuff that comes from the
store is best used for washing dogs who offended skunks. It is certainly
not fit for human consumption. Last year we put away 44 qts of juice and
were out of it before February. This year I am shooting for ~100 qts. (14 -
15 canner loads x 7 qts/load).

I should have a powered Victorio food mill coming tomorrow. The hand mill
takes just too much time for the amount of produce we process and the
amount of 'spare' time we have available. We both work and are very active
in our religion and it's tough to peel more time out of an evening than the
hour or so it takes to get a load through the canner.

We have 41 qts of dill pickles (and counting), 9 pints of a very tasty
salsa, 40 1/2 pints of strawberry jam, some dried herbs (dill, oregano, 3
kinds of mint,chamomille, sage), 4 pints dilled green beans, perhaps 20
pounds of garlic and 80 pounds of onions and are only 'getting started'
with the season.

Although we certainly save money by putting food away, we find that we
derive our greatest pleasure from the variety of tastes we get from our own
garden that we simply can't buy in the local stores.

When you open yourself to preserving food, you open the door to flavors you
never knew existed ... good flavors that make no apologies.

Bill
--
Zone 8b (Detroit, MI)