Old 28-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Bob Hobden

Default First year Wisteria

"Stewart wrote in message ...
I,ve managed, after last years failure to grow a wisteria up a sunny wall
supported by wire. I read lots about pruning but nothing about what to do

in
years one and two. After being away for most of the Summer my neighbour

has
watered my starting one foot wisteria. On my return it is over six feet

and
growing beautifully up the wire. It has a single stem winding up the wire.
The books tell me what to do with side shoots etc, but what should I do

with
this yearling and when ? Thanks.

The first thing is to unwind it from the wire. If you don't it will be badly
damaged, cut, by the wire as the shoot expands and thickens and eventually
the wire will break too. When the shoots are still green they are pliable,
it's much more difficult when they mature and turn brown.
Tie it to the wire with jute string (it will break under pressure not cut
like garden wire) and allow plenty of space between the shoots and any
permanent structure, i.e. give it plenty of room going over or around
corners. They get to be quite large heavy trunks eventually.

No doubt you have already decided where this plant is to go eventually so
ensure you have the vine eyes and wires already in place and simply tie the
shoot and next years leading shoot/s into your framework. Dealing with any
side shoots as you must to produce the flowering spurs.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday dealing with a neighbours that had been
growing for a few years without pruning. It was in their loft, around pipes,
electric and telephone wires, gutters, in the neighbours garage. I think
these plants are best grown by control freaks. :-) You can't leave them
for a moment.

They are hard work but worth it.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.