Old 29-08-2003, 02:47 AM
K30a

Default Still green....

MattR wrote Try reading that web page I referenced.

I read the web page you referenced when I
originally posted it in my green water tips.
I think that is where you found it.

He says shading the pond to

remove algae is a myth, as well as the idea that algae blooms are caused
by various nutrient concentrations.

I don't agree with him.
Sun is a nutrient for algae.
It's called photosynthesis.
Also disagree with him about various nutrients.

I think putting in a mech/bio filter works because
the mechcanical filter works because it collects some of the mulm in the
mechcanical part. And that is why people think the biofilter is the magic
bullet.

I've had a clear pond for years. I think that gives me the right to post my
suggestions.
I took out the web page you referenced. Caused too many problems here lately. I
originally included it as just another idea but I don't like the tone of the
page anymore.
Now you can reference all you want but I stand by my assertion that shade will
help cut back on single cell algae. And too many nutrients are not a good
thing, for algae, for fish.

Since I just talked about Norm Meck's web page with "~jan JJsP" (see the

thread "pond filter") I'm signing off from this thread.

Yes, I read it, it drove me slightly batty so I removed the reference to his
page. It seems to be very koi-centric and we mostly have water gardeners with
fish here. Since you are signing off this thread, I'll include this in email.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html