Old 29-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Roger Snipes

Default [IBC] Spruce Budding

Steve,

If the buds remain plump and viable, they should open in the spring
regardless of whether the rest of the needles on the twig are there or not.
I have a couple of small blue spruces that I have fiddled with for the last
few years. One year they were attacked by (I think) spider mites. They
lost most of their needles late in the year and over winter, and I pulled
the rest off early in the spring, but the buds remained good, and they
budded out and grew fine in the spring.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)