Old 29-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Mike Lyle

Default First year Wisteria

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...
"Stewart wrote in message ...
I,ve managed, after last years failure to grow a wisteria up a sunny wall
supported by wire. [...]

I spent a couple of hours yesterday dealing with a neighbours that had been
growing for a few years without pruning. It was in their loft, around pipes,
electric and telephone wires, gutters, in the neighbours garage. I think
these plants are best grown by control freaks. :-) You can't leave them
for a moment.

They are hard work but worth it.

A good case of "Don't blame the plant"! We don't always think far
enough ahead when planting, and forget to consider what a plant is
going to look like in its maturity. I've got some fine examples in my
own from-scratch garden, where I used shrubs and trees to get areas
looking cultivated early on, meaning to "edit some out" as they got
too big, and found that in some cases the proportions and views were
still all wrong even after I'd hardened my heart and performed the
extractions. "Garden as though you're going to live for ever", as they
say.

I managed to resist the almost overwhelming temptation to have a
wistaria, as even I could see that the design of my house -- too low,
too many windows -- just wasn't going to be compatible.

Mike.