Old 29-08-2003, 12:13 PM
J Jackson

Default Saving Tomato Seed?

Ron Clark wrote:
: On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:16 +0100 (BST), (Steve
: Harris) wrote:

:I bought a "Red Alert" tomato seedling that has done quite well. Is it
:practicable to save the seed? If so, how?

: Not worth the bother.

: Are you sure the Red Alert seed was fertilised by Red Alert pollen?

: You might save seed and get some tomatoes but they are unlikely
: to breed true.

Au Contraire. I've saved Red Alert seed for at at least 5 generations
and the plants look the same and the fruit tastes the same. It's an
excellent outdoor bush variety, and early enough to get a reliable crop
even at 125m high near Wakefield.

I understand that modern tomatos are self pollinators - they tend to
pollinate themselves, hence strains tends to come true. That is why there
are so many tomato heirloom varieties.

I've just checked in my copy of the Seed Savers Handbook, Jeremy Cherfas,
Michel & Jude Fanton. They say "allow the fruit to ripen just beyond the
eating stage. Cut them open, squeeze out the jelly and seeds, putting the
seeds of one variety in a jar or bowl. If you are saving the seeds of a
dry, meaty tomato such as the excellent Italian plum you may have to add a
tiny amount of water.
Label the jars and leave in a warm spot for 2 to 3 days. If it is not
stirred, a mat will form on top and a beneficial fermentation will take
place, caused mostly by a microbe, Geotrichum candidum, acting on the
sticky gel that surrounds the seeds. Antibiotic activity deals with
diseases such as bacterial spot, speck and canker (tomato breeder M.
Courtney in Whealy, 1986, page 146). The only danger is inleaving the
fermentation process for too long, leading to premature germination.
After at least 3, but no more than 4, days scoop the fungal mat of the
top, add water and pour the lot thru' a sieve. Wash and rub the seeds
until clean."

Hope that helps.