Old 29-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Frogleg

Default I'm Sick of Tomatoes

Mark Anderson wrote:

I've been harvesting tomatoes for a couple of weeks now. I tried to keep
up and eat as much as I can and also give away a lot but the tomatoes
keep coming and coming every day. Now the thought of eating another
tomato turns my stomach.

I got a terrific rash one summer from too many tomatoes. :-)

One of the processes of nature that seems ill-conceived is that all
those lovely tomatoes come ripe at *just* the season one doesn't want
to be boiling and simmering and processing. Much nicer to have a
bucket of 'garden fresh' tomatoes in December when one could really
enjoy a warm kitchen with fragrant pasta sauce simmering on the stove.

Does anyone have good tips on freezing these? My parent's put them in
boiling water for a couple of minutes and then peel the skins, smash them
up, and put them in ziplock bags to freeze. That seemed a little too
much work for me so I just cut them up, put them in a blender, liquefied
them, and put them in ziplock bags. Since my liquefied tomatoes
contained skins I'm not sure how this is going to taste when I thaw them

And blenderized seeds? Ick.

It may be a bit more trouble, but if you simply chunk up the tomatoes,
cook them a bit to soften, and put through a food mill, seeds and
skins will be left behind, and you'll have a sort of tomato puree base
to freeze. I picked this up from a Jacques Pepin show. The cooking was
*very* brief -- 5 minutes or so in a large shallow pan. I believe he
first sauted some onions and garlic in a little olive oil before
throwing the tomato chunks in. If you're thinking of a chile base,
this would be a good addition. When it's chile time, thaw, and cook to
reduce, or not.

The point is that this method filters out seeds and skin fairly easily
(I *have* done it, and it works), and doesn't take a day's labor doing
that 'peel, (de-) seed, chop' thing.