Old 29-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Faye Tarzwell

Default horse manure

talk about newbie......I have no clue what a hot compost is.....
The horses are stabled (race horses).
If he brings the manure fresh, is there anything I can do in my yard to
"cure" it?

FayC
zone 5a

From: "Faye Tarzwell"

my landlord offered to bring some horse manure so I can use in the flower
beds and the bare spots in the lawn.
Is it ok to use horse manure instead of cow manure? How should I mix it

(if
necessary at all) and when should I do it (fall or early spring)?

FayeC
zone 5a

Horse manure is best hot composted--while it has fertilizer value, Due to

the
horses diet and digestive system the manure may contain some or a lot of

viable
seed which can sprout as weeds in your garden. Hot composting will destroy

most
of the seeds