Old 29-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default Apomictic Grasses

In article ,
Cereoid-UR12- wrote:
I included the original statement made in the thread concerning Zea. There
is no mention of apomixis in that genus nor has there been any discovery of
it occurring in the genus.

The way Phred phrased it made it sound like there was an interesting story
or recent development behind it, which I hope he'll share with us.

If you would rather believe a false claim made by
Phredo without any actual proof, then you have learned nothing at all.

You're right. I'm so gullible I have absolutely no ability to run my own
intellectual life. I'm ineducable. It's not worth wasting your time on me.

Once
again you have proven to be the arrogant imbecile, Bev, because you
willingly believe the wrong person for the wrong reasons. You have been and
remain a disappointment not worthy of serious consideration.

Gee, why do you keep bothering with us disappointing arrogant imbeciles?
Just put me and everyone who irritates you in your killfile. We aren't
worthy of your serious consideration, so why give it? You will have a
more peaceful life, and the rest of us can continue along in our little
playpen here, being imbecilic and amusing each other with interesting
stories from real life and the technical literature.

Zea x Tripsacum
hybrids are NOT the same thing as pure lines in the genus Zea. The
intergeneric hybrids were not commercially viable.

It seems to be a fairly hot area of research, with many labs involved.
Backcrosses showing apomixis have been obtained for some years. While
commercially viable lines which are almost entirely Zea, but display
apomixis may not yet have been obtained, I would not be surprised to
read current papers with promising results considering the great advances
in genetic engineering techniques of the past 10-15 years. Very few things
in botany are "commercially viable", and commercial viability is hardly
a qualifying measure of scientific validity.

http://www.apomixis.de/APO2001_Abstract_Book.doc.

"APOMICTIC MAIZE: PROBLEMS AND PERSPECTIVES

Victor A. Sokolov, Irina V. Khatypova

Yeah, still a hot topic in 2001. This paper is about use of standard cross
amd backcross techniques, but other researchers are using modern methods of
genetic engineering and genomics.

Should I believe your brush off, or the evidence that hundreds of researchers
around the world still regard the goal of apomixis in maize as worth pursuing?
Is it stupid and credulous to believe that some of these researchers may
report promising results?

I hope Phred will tell us more. He may be rolling his eyes at where his
offhand statement has gone, but unlike some posters, he seems to have a
pretty good sense of humour, and may be enjoying Cereoid's antics, or even
mine.