Old 29-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Steve

Default there are HUGE green caterpillars eating my tomatoes!

Stephen, don't blame the nursery for the horn worms. I'm sure the plants
were clean when you got them. The tobacco hornworm moth finds you plants
and lays eggs on them when they are growing in your garden.
....and yes, I said tobacco horn worm, because that is what you have.
Tobacco hornworms are more common in the south and tomato hornworms are
more common in the north. There is a large area where you may find
either, or. They both like to eat tomato leaves.
Yours have the white diagonal stripes and a curved reddish horn. True
tomato hornworms have V shaped markings on the sides and the horn is
more black in color.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Stephen Younge wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback.

It sounds like the eggs for these hornworms probably came with the plants
when I bought them from a local nursery in mid-May? Or would they have come
in the potting soil, or by air?

Cheers,
Stephen