Old 29-08-2003, 05:22 PM
MLEBLANCA

Default Are the big gardening magazines worth the money?

In article , Heidi
writes:

For either, when a plant is identified, I find it is not
something carried in the local nurseries where I live.

try mailorder

Do you all think they are worth it?

Not many mags are worth the price today,( Why I remember when a mag
cost............).But I do enjoy many of them . With a tall glass of iced tea
or
a cold Sierra Nevada Summerfest, and a comfy seat on the patio, it's fun
to look and dream. And nice to see many kinds of plants, even though I
don't have room any more for most, or they wouldn't like this climate.
I enjoy seeing what other peope in other parts of the country are planting
in their gardens. New trends in plants, etc.

Anyone else get annoyed that the
featured gardens always show some wealthy couple lounging around in
pricey furniture, next to their outdoor shower, which is being fed by
their faux waterfall, etc..

Now Heidi, we must be tolerant, the poor dears can't help it if they're
wealthy!
No, I like to see those, too. I usually can find some little thing they have
done,
that's kind of quirky or fun, that I can adapt in my own little frugal way.

I too like Pacific Horticuture for a more professional, botanical view.
But it's only quarterly, wish it were published more often.

Birds and Blooms always has more "grass roots" type gardens, done by
the owners. The plant ID is not always the best, relying on common names
a lot, and some of the gardens are not quite my style. But it's nice to see
what people can do own their own.

Emilie
NorCal

Heidi