Old 29-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Bob Hobden

Default First year Wisteria

"MLL"wrote in message ...
I found an old wisteria at the bottom of My garden.
The old branches are rotten but it has tons of new shoots and is invading
ever nook and cranny of an old shed.
Can I move it, and if I can what do I do to it so that it will bloom?
No worries on the control freak end

I doubt you could move it successfully when it's so mature, I understand the
roots are deep. However, as with any plant, if you can't let it stay where
it is then try, it's got two chances. (might take a couple of years to
recover)

Prune out all but a couple of strong shoots and use these to train into a
framework over the next couple of years. (Of course you need something to
make the framework on like a pergola, house, etc) Do not let it make any
other shoots from the roots, yes, it will try over the years.
This main shoot/s will then start to send out other shoots along it's length
and these you cut back to 2 buds either as they extend or just after leaf
fall when you do the major annual tidyup (usually you have to prune off
these wayward shoots to keep the plant under control anyway and to stop it
strangling the family). :-)
This will encourage flowering buds to grow over the winter on these spurs.

It's not difficult, just that it seems so brutal some times.
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.