Old 29-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Jim W

Default Vine Advice

Kevin wrote:

I have a gazebo that I would like to put a climbing vine on. I have had
some success with morning glories but they seem to take a long time to the
as tall as I would like them. Every now and then I see a very pretty vine
that has orange flowers on it and always wonder what is is. Anyway, I live
in the Chicago area and would like the vine to be perennial, not have to be
cut back each year, and product flowers. The gazebo is about 8-10 feet
high.

Thanks for any advice.

Orange trumpet shaped flowers?? I know nothing about the Chicago
climate but the Campsis radicans cultivars have flowers like that.. Mind
you it might be controled in the US or something?
It is commonly known as the trumpet climber or creeper and is a speedy
beast even here in the UK. It flowers best with winter/spring pruning
and the cultivars have much better flowers than the straight species
which can be reluctant to produce buds. It does, I'm afraid need to be
cut back each year but there are few vines that do not..

Although... looking at:
http://www.chicagobotanic.org/bloom/InBloomMain.html

they have 2 cultivars there.. Maybe I've learnt something today;-)
//
Jim