Old 29-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Killing Crabgrass

The best you can do right now is to pull out the biggest clumps. Other than
that, let it die off this fall and make sure to reseed the area with
whatever type of grass you have. Most people have a fescue blend. Your
main concern will be the seeds that are in the soil that might emerge next
spring. Make sure that you apply a strong pre-emergent for crabgrass next
March to ensure that the seeds don't germinate then. I would use a pure
pre-emergent product to make sure the coverage is adequate. Then you can
use a fertilizer with a built in pre-emergent too. I have found that when
you use a product that has a mix of things (i.e. fertilizer + pre-emergent),
it doesn't have enough strength. Crabgrass is an annual and does not
survive the winter, so your concern is with the seeds next spring only.

If you can't stand to look at it right now, you can also use roundup on it,
but the more bare spots in your lawn, the better chances of weeds popping
up. This spring and summer has been a killer as far as weeds and crabgrass.
Keep up with your mowing so the crabgrass doesn't get high enough to develop
more seeds (if possible).

If it helps any, I'm battling the same problem with moving last fall to a
new home with 1.4 acres. The lawn also has a good portion of bermuda grass
that invades beds and is very difficult to get rid of. I'm going to kill
off a bunch of it by using roundup and then reseed with my fescue blend.
The problem with having both grasses is that the fescue stays green through
the winter while the bermuda turns brown. I end up with huge patches of
brown spots in the yard and it looks like brown patch, but it's not. I was
told to use the roundup concentrate instead of the ready to use type. You
can mix it a little stronger for tough to kill plants.

Good luck.

Penny
"bestokes" wrote in message
. com...
How do you kill it? I've seen Crab Grass prevention but that doesn't help
me now.
Thanks
Brad