Old 30-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Gary

Default What should the bottom of the pond look like.

"Bob Knight" wrote in message ...
Newbee ponder here.... I was wondering if it's overkill to try to keep the
bottom of the pond free of debrie and stuff that might settle there. The max
depth is around 2.5 feet. Should I get out the old shopvac and start
cleaning?

Bob

I prefer the "natural" look for the bottom of my pond because I don't
want it to look like a swimming pool. I put a layer of 4-6" river
rock on the bottom of the pond, and over time, algae has grown over
the rocks and some of the plants have hopped their pots and have put
down roots underneath the rocks. Also, this layer gives the fish a
good place to hide, especially in the winter after the aquatic plants
have died back. I usually siphon the gunk off the bottom of the pond
once in the spring and again in the fall, just using a 10-foot length
of 1" clear plastic tubing, so I can see if I accidentally suck up a
fish. I never have problems with murky water. I run a Pondmaster
filter, 2 air bubblers, and a waterfall, although I do shut the
waterfall off in the winter. My pond holds 300 gallons and is about 6
ft. in diameter and a couple of feet deep.
Gary