Old 30-08-2003, 02:44 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Apomictic Grasses

Name ten grasses in different genera that are apomictic!!! BRBR

A quick search revealed the fact that many genera of the Poaceae contain
apomictic species. These include Pennisetum, Poa, Sorghum, buffelgrass, and
others I don't remember. A great deal of research is going on right now to
isolate the genes for apomixis in order to develop consistent strains of
superior food & forage plants. You might know that such an advanced and
widespread family as the Poaceae would have a backup system in case wind
pollination doesn't work.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."