Old 30-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Pam

Default Vine Advice

Kevin wrote:

I have a gazebo that I would like to put a climbing vine on. I have had
some success with morning glories but they seem to take a long time to the
as tall as I would like them. Every now and then I see a very pretty vine
that has orange flowers on it and always wonder what is is. Anyway, I live
in the Chicago area and would like the vine to be perennial, not have to be
cut back each year, and product flowers. The gazebo is about 8-10 feet
high.

Thanks for any advice.

Few flowering vines will not require some sort of pruning. The orange vine you
see is most likely a form of trumpet vine, Campsis. Big hummingbird attractor,
but very late to leaf out and rather aggressive. Sends out copious root shoots,
too, which can be very problematic. Other choices include wisteria (also
aggressive and will require annual pruning), one of the spring flowering
species clematis (most are quite hardy and will not require pruning except to
control size), a climbing rose or honeysuckle.

pam - gardengal