Old 30-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Cathy & Charlie Cathy & Charlie is offline
Registered User

Location: Ashford, Kent.
Question Slug's demise

I don't know if anyone has ever come across this and please excuse if some of it sounds a little crude!

We are allotmenteers and keep a bucket in our shed for the collection of "human liquid compost activator" - no toilets on the site, see.

Charlie unwittingly used the "facilities" while there was a slug in it which immediately "kicked the bucket". Thinking this might be a fluke the experiment was repeated (we have plenty of slugs to spare!) and the same thing happened.

Are there any biologists out there who can say why this is? My own guess is that it is the electrolyte level of the liquid, but we're curious.

We don't think this will have a practical use in keeping slugs off plants as it would probably neutralize on contact with the soil or put too much nitrogen in for some plants. (We know about the connection between nitrogen, nettles and human habitation)

Any comments?