Old 30-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Frogleg

Default Are the big gardening magazines worth the money?

"Heidi" wrote

I'm just curious as to how many folks see value in subscribing to
gardening magazines. I have subscribed to two of the biggies for a
little over a year now.

snip
Do you all think they are worth it? Anyone else get annoyed that the
featured gardens always show some wealthy couple lounging around in
pricey furniture, next to their outdoor shower, which is being fed by
their faux waterfall, etc...

Looks like 'Organic Gardening' is going into the dumper again --
getting slimmer and slimmer ever issue -- but it always has some
useful, real-world info. 'Mother Earth' is a lot more homestead-y, but
again, has interesting gardening pieces. You might check

http://garden-gate.prairienet.org/garden_magazines.htm

for a list of gardening magazines.
If you live in the west, 'Sunset' mag has regionally-tailored issues
that always include a garden/plant articles. 'Southern Living' is much
the same sort of thing (except the recipes make no low-cal
concessions) with garden info for the southern US. There's probably
something similar in other areas of the country.