Old 30-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Growing the following tomatoes..

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:31:29 -0700, (Glenna
Rose) wrote:

Initially, cutting the wire in different lengths, varying one square each
way, allows nesting three cages to take up less winter storage space.
While they could be flattened, sort of, for more efficient use of storage
space, it would be a frustrating experience.

This is a good idea.

What I added this year is a cattle panel which is really heavy duty stuff
and will not be bent without the proper tools and a strong hand. I just
drove two 7-ft fence posts into the ground and fastened it against them to
hold it vertical which is more than adequate with the heavy wire involved.
It would be akin to "sheet" of rebar material. The "mesh" is 6-8 inches.
It can be bent, but not easily.

snip

The panels are 16-feet long and 52 inches high and are not easily handled
by one person. They are also rather heavy, remembering these are *cattle*
panels designed to keep cattle contained. Most farm stores would surely
cut them into shorter lengths for you; these were carried on a full-size
pickup bent back over themselves which left a curve in the middle which I
was not able to get completely straight again but that beat having to have
them cut for hauling. They cost just under $20 each and will be a good
investment over the years.

Thanks. I might use some of these, I've also seen them
used to construct hoophouses - well, I've not seen this with
my own eyes, but I've seen photos on web pages.

I wasn't sure how much they cost, but $20 for a 16 foot long
panel is manageable.

I stumbled upon the cattle panels while actually visiting various
farm/garden stores looking for hog wire. The hog wire of my youth isn't
being sold around here so I don't know if it's even manufactured anymore.

I can't find hog wire here either (rural northern PA).
That's what I *used to* use for tomato cages.

I suspect (unhappily) that most hogs are now grown in CAFOs
- Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations - and never see the
light of day. No need for hog wire then.

All I've seen this past few years is old stuff purchased many years ago;
field fencing was the closest thing I could find. The cattle panels have
the same "mesh" pattern but are much heavier and are not sold in rolls
because of the heavy wire gauge. You would not believe what I would find
when I got to a store after being told via telephone they had hog wire!

Yes, I would. I've had many similar experiences - we
had to drive for 45 minutes to get tomato cage wire.

One would think even a new employee would understand lawn fencing and hog
wire might not be the same thing even if they didn't figure out that
2x4-inch squares are *not* 6-inch squares. Not many people put hogs on
their lawns. Oh, well. Maybe some don't know what a hog is, ya think?

Probably. Pork chops come in plastic packages, you know.

One day, I'll get my web page updated from a year ago and include the
tomato cage stuff on it. Obviously, that hasn't been a top priority for
me or it would already be done. One thing about our gardens, they don't
leave a lot of "fluff" time, do they? But ain't it great?!

I never was really interested in painting my nails or
fooling around with a hair-do in any case. (This is an
understatement.) Yes, gardening is great.

Today's harvest: beets (four red, one golden), green beans,
purple beans, yellow wax beans, fresh basil, pattypan
squash, and my FIRST eggplant of the season - one of the
long Asian eggplants. I'm going to have a big plate of
roasted veggies for dinner, with a roll and a hunk of
cheese, and a glass of white wine. It's cool enough today
that using the oven will be OK.

I could have also picked cukes, tomatoes, zucchini, chard,
peppers and various other herbs, but won't be needing them
today (we have tomatoes from yesterday).

Pat