Old 30-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Steve

Default Why are cucumber seeds so expensive?

dommy wrote:

Hello all, I would like to grow some cucumbers next year outdoors in the
garden.
Have been looking around for seeds and they are quite expensive.
Usually only 5 come in a packet for £3.
Does anyone know why they are so expensive and if only 5 seeds are
given what is the sucess of germination. Ie, am i guarnateed to get 5
healthy plants?
Is there no way to harvest cucumber seed?
Eg Cucumber 'Femspot' F1 cost £3.45 for 5 seeds.
Thanking you in advance.
--
dommy

Dommy, you are looking at some expensive seed there. You don't really
need that kind of seed. I don't know what seed companies you have
available but I'm sure you could order from Thompson and Morgan.
They have some that are not quite so expensive (mixed in with some very
expensive types). Look at the one at the bottom of this page:
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds/uk/list_c_49.html

My personal favorite is "Sweet Success". It is expensive by American
cucumber standards but I love it. It gets BIG and is still tender and
seedless in my growing conditions. You might try that one if you can
find it.

Steve in the Adirondacks of northern NY