Old 30-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Pat Brennan

Default Phal problem. Help!

Ray,

I am in agreement with Aaron, I think Steve has a microfungus. I was
guessing that before I even saw the pictures. I have had microfungus on
phals, I have cured it. But the only way I have successfully cured
microfungus is using a cocktail of chemicals. Two months ago when I
mentioned a cocktail Aaron replied with a post about not mixing chemicals
under the risk of toxic precipitate and wrecked buffers. Not wanting to
hear this crap again, I took my discussion with Steve out of the group. I
just find it maddening that today Aaron is giving pointers to sites
promoting chemical cocktails.

Pretending that you know more then the chemical manufactures or the
directions supplied with the chemicals does a disservice to this group. Is
the label that comes with the chemical the "precise knowledge" we must know
or is there more? If we follow the label are we still going to create toxic
precipitate? If I am Steve, who or what do I believe?

Chemical labels includes a section on compatibility and yes you better read
them and follow the directions. Randomly mixing any chemicals is a dumb
idea. But, when you take copper out of the mix, it seems that most of the
chemicals I commonly use are compatible. I am not making that up, it is
what the labels say, it is what experience has shown. Some of the more
common cocktails are even marketed as a single product, Spectro and Banrot
to name two.

BTW, I highly recommend Spectro which is a cocktail of 3336 and Daconil as a
broad spectrum fungicide.

Sorry about the double post, I would blame my ISP but who would believe me.

From someone introduced to Griesbach's Blitz at a very young age,

Pat