Old 30-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Noydb

Default I'm Sick of Tomatoes

Glenna Rose wrote:

writes:

Hi there, Have you thought of maybe canning your tomatoes? It is
really easy. You can add onions, bell peppers and garlic to the
tomatoes then can them also. If not, you could always send them to
me!

Question of safety here. When you add the bell peppers, don't they then
have to be pressure canned?

Curious.

Glenna

It would seem to depend on the quantity added. If just a tablespoon or so
for seasoning, I wouldn't think so. I base that on the observation that
such like can be canned up in tomato juice and the amount of added acid is
not increased in the 'official' recipes. I suspect that the two tablespoons
of lemon juice per qt advice actually errs on the side of too much acid to
avoid errors on the side of too little.

Moreover, both the garlic and the onions contribute antibacterial qualities
when fresh. I don't know if they are destroyed by heat or not but even if
they are, they are fresh when added to the puree and would help disinfect
it chemically before the heat disinfection of boiling took over.

Bill
--
Zone 8b (Detroit, MI)